Do I need a Visa to enter Thailand?
For driving and riding in Thailand you do need an International Driving Permit (IDP)1949, these are available usually from your main Post Offices or driving organizations, usually a £5 fee is payable.
Our accommodation for our off road tour
We never usually camp and will never sleep under the stars!! Unless you really want to!!
We only stay in quality local guesthouses and small family run hotels, we have tried and tested them all recently and they will of course be en suite and offer clean cool rooms with friendly and helpful staff.
All accommodation will be booked on a single occupancy basis.
Thai food is beautiful and fresh however pork and sticky rice is not often our choice for breakfast, so we will carry with us western breakfast cereals just in case!! Fresh fruit is always available.
Portion sizes in Thailand are not so generous however eating often, is the order of the day, we will be stopping for regular drink and snack breaks.
Breakfast lunch and dinner is included throughout the tour as is morning and afternoon tea.
The food is always fresh and served with a smile, any specific dietary requirements must be discussed before you book.
Delicious seafood, chicken and pork are extremely common, rice and noodle dishes including curry soups always form the basis of every menu, bottled water is an absolute must, never drink the tap water!!
Most villages and petrol stations will sell coca cola and a few western snacks, there is a cool box on board and the support truck can hold your secret stash!!
How much spending money will I need?
FYI a half pint of draft beer is about £1 and bottled imported beer is about £1.50.
Thai Baht is the currency but don’t get it in Europe or from your own country, wait till you get to Thailand you will get a better rate although ATM machines do charge about £3 per transaction.
Hazards on the road
Many folk think Thai’s are bad drivers personally I think they are very aware, seldom get angry and the traffic seems to flow very well.
We will have a full briefing about this in our team briefing before the tour.
Pot holes, wash outs and disappearing roads and collapsed bridges are normal sights.
Buffalo and cows are also very common grazing or asleep on the road and if you see a thai dog in the road be sure it ain’t gonna move for you!!!
Smile and be courteous
Our Terms and Conditions
It must be acknowledged that these terms and conditions form part of the booking form available on the eXplore 4×4 adventure website and therefore form part of the contract between eXplore 4×4 adventure and the applicant named in the completed booking form.
Acceptance of any booking is therefore subject to agreement on the following terms and conditions:
1. A booking can only be made after the return of a completed booking form accompanied by a deposit of 40% of the total tour cost. The remaining balance of 60% must be in the hands of the company on arrival in Chiang Mai Before the tour starts.
2. We must be notified of any cancellations no later than 30 days before the start date of the tour. Cancellation notification must be made in writing (or e-mail to our site) and will be effective from the day it is received. Cancellations made prior to 60 days before the tour starting date will receive a full refund of any money paid minus 20% of the tour fee as an administration charge to cover initial costs. Cancellations made 60 to 30 days before the start of the tour will receive a full refund of any money paid minus 40% of the tour fee. Cancellations made within 30 days of the start of the tour shall forfeit all sums paid. Exceptions to this policy will not be made for any reason.
3. The company will not cancel a tour for any reason. And will do everything in it’s power to ensure that all booked tours are completed as confirmed.
It is also understood that war, political or civil unrest, natural disaster, general act of god or any other force majeure constitute a sufficient reason for the company to cancel a tour. The company is not responsible for any extra expenses incurred in preparation for the trip i.e. plane tickets, insurance costs, extra gear bought.
4. Insurance. It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure they are sufficiently insured against medical and personal risks covering the tour. Without the correct insurance we cannot let you join the tour. Insurance must cover repatriation, ambulance and air recovery. Trip cancellation insurance is up to you.
5. It is expressly confirmed that the company cannot accept responsibility for loss or injury to the applicant arising directly through failure by the applicant, but shall be responsible only in the event that the loss or injury to the applicant has been directly occasioned by an error on the company’s behalf.
6. Truck damage. In the event of an accident, the customer is required to pay for all damages if we consider the cause to be reckless driving or driving without due care and attention. All trucks and vehicles used on the tour have 3rd party insurance and are fully road legal.
7. The Company reserves the right to alter the route as conditions prevail to accommodate changes in weather, terrain and physical condition of participants. The leader’s decision is final.
8. The Company reserves the right to discontinue touring with individual applicants who disrupt the tour thereby affecting the enjoyment of fellow drivers/passengers. This includes dangerous driving/putting other people’s safety at risk and any offence that breaks Thai national law. There will be no refund under these circumstances.
9. It is the responsibility of all applicants to meet at the time and designated start point. Participants failing to connect with the support vehicle are liable for their own expenses to catch up with the tour.
10. Delays in the Journey. We cannot be held responsible for any unforeseen delays in your flights prior to, and after the tour whether caused by weather or other unforeseen circumstances. In the event of a delay you will be responsible for providing your own meals and accommodation.
11. If during the tour, you have a complaint please discuss the matter immediately with the tour leader who will take the appropriate action. Should you be dissatisfied with the result and feel that it has severely affected your enjoyment of the holiday please write to us within 30 days of your return. We will respond within the same period and endeavor to resolve the matter to our mutual satisfaction.
By their acceptance hereof the applicant agrees and accepts that he/she has read and understood the terms of these booking conditions and agrees to be bound by same. The applicant also confirms that he/she considers himself medically fit to participate in the tour and that no warranty has been given by the company as to the medical condition of the applicant. Any information provided by the company in relation to travel details or requirements in respect of passports, visas or other requirements for trips to Thailand is provided on a voluntary basis and is not to be relied upon by the applicant.